It’s easy to make most of our daily decisions, since they are already habitual. However, when it comes to key decisions, we can flounder, especially when certain facts are missing. Think about choosing your spouse, or that last job. What about your car, your home, or even your last vacation? We research, date, interview, and then, at some point, we simply make a decision, and hope it works out as we envision it. Another challenging decision type is selecting what priority to
Sadly, it is common to hear a team member casually referred to as “lazy” when they don’t perform their work as expected. In fact, we even call ourselves lazy when we don’t meet our own goals and standards. However, lazy is a demoralizing lie. It’s a convenient and, candidly, abusive phrase that masks other behaviors and emotions that need real attention. By definition, lazy is unwilling to make an effort. In my coaching practice of leaders and executives, I have yet to meet s
I am a philosophy nerd. Of course, most people are not as actively engaged in philosophy for its own sake as I am. I get it. I spent many years focused on just living, without much philosophy at all – or so I thought. Still, we all have a life philosophy, whether we know it or not. Wouldn’t it be better if we actively chose it ? Think about it. If we have not actively created our life philosophy, we exist in one two possible scenarios: Suppose you are on top of the success la
Cornell University research suggests, and most experts agree, adults make an average of 35,000 decisions every day. However, especially in our professions, we try to make our decisions rationally, equating rational decisions to empowered decisions. However, that portion of our brain only represents 10% of our thought processes. It gets fatigued trying to keep up throughout a decision-filled day. The other 90% of our decision process is subconscious, emotional and non-linear.
To find your purpose, you must know what you are looking for – and it is within you. No one can do the work for you, except you. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation floating around, that sounds masterful, but in the end you are likely to feel a bit let down. So here are the self-mastery steps to uncovering your purpose, but be warned! Don’t expect instant results. This is not an evening project. There isn’t really a shortcut here. Just settle in and enjoy the ride